Have you recently thought about how powerful your words are?
Today, I am reminded of how the tongue possesses immense power. As someone who tends to not lack for words, I am challenged to reflect on how I chose words, speak them, and when and how I communicate them. It is easy for me to just say what I want to say, however and whenever I say it.
If you can master your tongue, I believe you will live life in a dynamically new way. The process of mastering the spoken word is a daily challenge. It affects all spheres of life, since communication is so essential in daily living.
If you can master your tongue, you will live life in a dynamically new way. God has graciously given us His views on our spoken word. In the Bible, there are well over 60 passages regarding the tongue found in the book of Proverbs. Below are a few that really hit home with me recently:
- Proverbs 10:19 – “Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander is a fool”.
- Proverbs 10:32 – “The lips of the righteous know what finds favor, but the mouth of the wicked only what is perverse”.
- Proverbs 11:13 – “A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret”.
- Proverbs 13:3 – “Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin”.
- Proverbs 15:1 – “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger”.
- Proverbs 15:23 – “A person finds joy in giving an apt reply – and how good is a timely word!”
- Proverbs 15:28 – “The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil”.
- Proverbs 16:1 – “To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the proper answer of the tongue”.
- Proverbs 17:20 – “One whose heart is corrupt does not prosper; one whose tongue is perverse falls into trouble.”
- Proverbs 17:27 – “The one who has knowledge use words with restraint…”
- Proverbs 18:13 – “To answer before listening – that is folly and shame”.
So which one of these truths hit home with you most today and why? I’d love to hear about it. Feel free to contact me or call me at 717-798-3596 and share them with me…